KICK OFF PH Q&A: Jhan - Jhan Melliza


Jhan-Jhan Melliza has been a prolific scorer for Stallion Laguna in recent years

KICK OFF PH caught up with Stallion Laguna's prolific goal scorer Jesus "Jhan-Jhan" Melliza. The Stallion Laguna striker shared to KICK OFF PH how his football journey started and also revealed which player he wants to team up with.



KICK OFF PH:  How and at what age did you start playing football? 

Melliza: I started playing football when i was 7 years old. My father is a football player and eventually he became my coach.

KICK OFF PH: How did you end up playing for the FEU Tamaraws?

Melliza:  As years passed by, I kept thinking if I will pursue football as my career due to financial problem since I am the oldest in the family. I once said that if I will go to college, I will be taking a maritime course to become a seafarer someday who sails internationally to provide better for my family. But opportunity came to me when I tried out for the U-19 national team, and luckily I got the spot. I was then recruited by Coach Dolfo to study and play in Manila for Far Eastern University.

Jesus Melliza played for the FEU Tamaraws in the UAAP

KICK OFF PH: Did  the UAAP prepare you in becoming a pro?

Melliza: Yes it is my stepping stone. During and after the UAAP I got tons of offers from different clubs and eventually chose Coach Dolfo's team, my first club team, Green Archers United.


KICK OFF PH: What's the difference in playing for the UAAP and in the PFL? 

Melliza: The level of the competition, of course.  There is a big difference since in PFL, you will be playing with professional football players local and international. I think if they will allow UAAP players to play in pro league, that would be better since they will gain experience and it is an opportunity for them to grow as a player.


KICK OFF PH: Stallion Laguna has one of the best supporters in the PFL, do you think local fan support is important to the future of the club?

Melliza: Yes. You know football is nothing without fans. Fans can lift up the spirit of the team despite winning or losing and they really help you boost your morale.


KICK OFF PH: What's the best advice coach Ernie has given you that you'll always remember?

Melliza: Play with all I've got for me, my family and for Stallion. 


KICK OFF PH: Who is the toughest player you've ever played against?

Melliza: I don't remember his name he played in JVP as central back. He is good, I admire him so much and I love to play against him.


KICK OFF PH: If you could pick one player to have in your team, who would it be?

Melliza: The best player in the world of course.. CR7!! 100% 


KICK OFF PH: What's the best goal you have scored so far in your career? 

Melliza: 4 or 5 goals against Ilocos United. I don't remember exactly.


KICK OFF PH: You've been called up for national duty for a number times already, how does it feel to like every time you don the national colors? 

Melliza:  You cannot explain in words the feeling of wearing the Philippine flag. I am so happy that I get to be part of the national team and fulfill my dream and my father's dream. It is my chance to showcase my talent internationally. Representing the Philippines is one my biggest achievement in my life that I could brag to my kids when they grow up.


KICK OFF PH: What advice can you give to aspiring homegrown Filipinos wanting to pursue a career in football?

Melliza: Just follow your heart & dream especially in terms of choosing what do you like most. Life is like a roller-coaster and if you have an opportunity to play in the UAAP, Professional Leagues even in other countries, GRAB IT. Do not hesitate because if you do, you will miss that opportunity and forever regret your decision of not trying and wanting what you like the most. Live your life to the fullest and do not ever make decisions that you will regret forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Azkals players who retired earlier than expected

Ace Bright: Meet the man behind Philippines' most successful football club

Clifford Daypuyat: 'Gain knowledge from your mistakes'