KICK OFF PH Q&A: Patrick Deyto


 Patrick Deyto is now in his second season with  Suphanburi FC

KICK OFF PH recently caught up with Philippines international Patrick Deyto for a question and answer session. The Suphanburi FC goalkeeper revealed his Top 3 goalkeepers, toughest player he ever played against & more.



KICK OFF PH: It is no secret that in the Philippines basketball is the most popular sport. How did you get started in football and at what age?​

Patrick: I was encouraged to join extra curricular activities as a young kid and I chose football at that time, I never left the sport since then.


KICK OFF PH: What’s the difference between the style of football in Thailand and in the Philippines?

Patrick: Its more competitive in here (Thailand) since there are a lot more professional teams. Every game is a unique challenge. And the players are also very good technically.

KICK OFF PH: Did you always play the same position growing up?

Patrick: I was able to play a different position outfield when I was young but I started as a goalkeeper and ended back at this position when the level I was playing at started to become more competitive and serious. 

Patrick Deyto in  action during training with Suphanburi FC. Photo: Patrick Deyto


KICK OFF PH: If you had to choose a different position, where would you play and why?

Patrick: Probably striker. I think everybody would enjoy scoring some goals every now and then.


KICK OFF PH: What’s your best save so far in your career?

Patrick: Probably the penalty save against Malaysia in Cebu. I was peaking at this time of my career and that performance gave me the confidence i needed to be able to work on moving up to the next level.


KICK OFF PH: Who's your top 3 goalkeeper?

Patrick: At this moment i think its Ter stegen, Alisson and Oblak. In that order.


KICK OFF PH: Who's the toughest player you've  ever played against?

Patrick: This is a tough question since i have played against numerous players.
In the Philippines probably Schrock, Marañon and Mendy. In Thailand probably Baggio, Heberty and William.


KICK OFF PH: Growing up, is there a football player that has influenced you the most?

Patrick: I cannot say anyone in particular, but probably combination of many players. I tried to learn and apply all the things that I thought would be useful for my own game.


KICK OFF PH: Among your Azkals teammate, who are you closest to?

Patrick: Probably Curt Dizon and Dennis Villanueva. I've been roommates with them on more than one occasion and were teammates with them at one point in club level as well. We still try to stay in touch up to this day.


KICK OFF PH: What advice can you give to  Filipinos who would want to pursue a career in football?

Patrick: Keep working hard and stay disciplined. Never be influenced by doubters, no matter what the circumstances are, your beliefs will always be related to how far you can go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Azkals players who retired earlier than expected

Ace Bright: Meet the man behind Philippines' most successful football club

Clifford Daypuyat: 'Gain knowledge from your mistakes'