KICK OFF PH Q&A: Patrick Reichelt


                                
Patrick Reichelt at the 2018 AFF Championship. Photo: Patrick Reichelt

KICK OFF PH caught up with Azkals Patrick Reichelt, who currently plays for Suphanburi FC in the Thai League 1. The 32-year-old winger shared to KICK OFF PH how his football career started, how he end up playing in the Philippines and plenty more.

Here's what he had to say...   

KICK OFF PH: Can you share to us your humble beginnings in Germany and what was it like growing up with Filipino mother? 

Patrick: My mom worked really hard for my brother and I to have everything we needed. I grew up eating a lot of Filipino food at home but only realized that after I moved there and saw all kinds of food I had at home in Germany.

 

KICK OFF PH: At what age did you start playing football?

Patrick: I was 4 years old when I first went to a football practice. Hated it and didn’t attend another training until I was 6.

 

KICK OFF PH: What was it like growing up and playing football in Germany?

Patrick:  I never went to a big football team academy. My whole youth I spend playing for local small teams with friends. Football was never really priority. I would never have in mind that one day I could make a living of it.

 

KICK OFF PH: When did you realize that you are good at football and you want to become a professional footballer?

Patrick:  Like I said before, it never really was a priority. I loved football but never pushed for bigger things. There were lots of opportunities from bigger teams when I was young but me and my parents preferred staying with my friends always. It wasn’t until I was 20 and spend a preseason with Hertha BSC under 23s that I thought I can actually compete with these guys . Maybe give football a shot.

 

KICK OFF PH: How did you end up playing for the Philippines?

Patrick: A close friend in Germany, Oliver Pötschke, who is also Filipino and even appeared for some games for the Azkals pushed me to it . Not much later I got in contact with the PFF. Coach Michael Weiss, National Team Coach at that time, was vital in convincing me that coming over would be the right choice. Never regretted listening to him.

 

Reichelt has been with the national team since 2012

KICK OFF PH: How was the experience playing for clubs in the Philippines like Global and Ceres?

Patrick:  Both very different in itself. I didn’t really stay long with global, but I’m very grateful for the opportunity they gave me to come over to the Philippines and play for them. Ceres was totally different. I stayed there for 5 years and the club was like a family. I owe CERES FC a lot.

KICK OFF PH: You're one of the mainstays in the national team for quite some time already and you have trained with the guys day in and day out. But which Azkals teammate is a gym rat?

Patrick: We got lots of them gym rats. I’m definitely not one of them. Kevin (Ingreso) and Michael Kempter are doing lots of extra. Schrocky is a monster. He'll be in the gym after playing a 90min game.


KICK OFF PH: Football players have always used video games to bond with their teammates in hotel rooms, which Azkals teammate have you beaten the most in FIFA?

Patrick: They don’t really let me play. I tried couple of times but realized very quickly that I’m better as a supporter.


KICK OFF PH: What do you think are the things that need to be done  to improve the level of Philippine football?

Patrick: Giving kids an early possibility to play football. Us kids in Europe start playing because there are fields everywhere you look on the streets. At the moment I still think it’s vital to bring more abroad born Filipinos into the national team and local league football. It is creating competition for local born players need to grow and learn.


KICK OFF PH: What is your personal goal as a football player?

Patrick:  I’m not the youngest anymore with 32. But was lucky enough that my age didn’t catch up yet with my physical abilities. So I definitely wanna try working harder to keep it that way and play professionally for as long as my legs can carry me.

KICK OFF PH: What is your message to all Filipino football fans?

Patrick: I know Philippine football went through some hardships recently but that only means we need your support more than ever.  You've seen what you guys were able to do after 2010. So why not let Philippine football rise again.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Azkals players who retired earlier than expected

Ace Bright: Meet the man behind Philippines' most successful football club

Clifford Daypuyat: 'Gain knowledge from your mistakes'