OJ Porteria: Coach Risto knew how to get the best out of the team

OJ Porteria said that he'll always be grateful for the opportunities given to him by Coach Risto


After four glorious season with the busmen, head coach Risto Vidakovic has announced on his twitter account on Wednesday that he will not be part of the rebranded United City Football Club. " I just want to inform the Filipino football fans and especially the supporters of Ceres - Negros that I'm not going to be a part of the United City FC! Thank you Ceres for all these years of beautiful memories," Vidakovic said.

Vidakovic has been appointed as the head coach of Ceres-Negros FC in 2016 ahead of the the 2016 United Football League (UFL) season. In his debut season, Ceres finished second in the league behind Global FC and qualified for the 2017 AFC Cup Group stage. Vidakovic would later steer to busmen to three consecutive Philippines Football League (PFL) titles, a Copa Paulino Alcantara trophy and an ASEAN Zonal title in 2017. 

Ceres - Negros FC has achieved new heights under Coach Risto

His technical approach to the game has made Ceres-Negros a domestic and regional powerhouse. “Coach Risto was one of the main reasons as to why we were very successful. He would never let us give anything less than 100% every time we stepped out onto the pitch, “ said Ceres - Negros mainstay OJ Porteria.

“His style of play was very clear with the way that we played. Always staying together in defense, but whenever we won the ball, it was a fast counter attack for a possible goal,” Porteria added.

Under Vidakovic's tutelage, a lot of Ceres-Negros players have achieved more than they could ever hoped to. “One thing I will always remember is him telling me to take players on and dribble. That it was okay if I lose the ball in the attacking half. For an attacking player like me and to hear that from your manager, it gave me the confidence to try things and enjoy my football,” said Porteria.

OJ Porteria and the Ceres-Negros players admired Vidakovic's work ethic and dedication to the game, but more than that, Coach Risto was more like a father figure to them. “ He was there for us off the pitch whenever we needed him so you never wanted to let him down,”  said Porteria.

The respect and trust that the players had for Coach Risto is unquestioned and OJ Porteria has nothing but appreciation and gratitude to the Serbian gaffer.

“I just want to say thank  Risto for everything that he has done for us. He is by far the best coach that I have ever had and I learned so much from him on and off the pitch. I learned how to hold myself accountable and to take responsibility of all my actions. I will always be grateful for the time I had with him, because it has helped my career in ways I never even imagined when coming to Ceres.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Azkals players who retired earlier than expected

Ace Bright: Meet the man behind Philippines' most successful football club

Clifford Daypuyat: 'Gain knowledge from your mistakes'