Buda Bautista: Giving back 'makes me feel immortal'



Appointed by the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) in 2015, Letecia 'Buda' Bautista wasted little time in making her mark in the women’s game.

In an exclusive interview with KICK OFF PH, NU Bulldogs assistant coach and former women's national football team head coach Buda Bautista took time out of her busy schedule to talk about women's football in the Philippines, what needs to be done to grow the women’s game and to reflect on some of her fondest memories guiding the Malditas to its historic Asian Cup appearance. 


You started your football career as a player. How hard was it to make the transition from player to coach, how valuable were your previous experiences to make the move easier? 

It was not an easy transition, because I still have the eagerness to still step in and take the “player role” and do the thing myself.  It is a process and a discipline to separate myself from being a player to a coach.  But certainly, my being a player complemented my new role as a coach. It’s the point of view that varies: (1) The player takes the individual role and execute while (2) The coach as a whole has to see the big picture on all angles. Both the player and the coach have the same end in view, that is to win.     


When did you realize you had a talent for coaching and what motivated you to pursue it as a career?

It was that time when we were given the opportunity to speak up and voice out during games and practices. After that, tasks were given to us to lead and eventually helped us hone our talents in decision making. And maybe this is what our mentors saw and eventually encourage me/us (my colleagues) to take coaching seriously. Though my discipline in college is really related to what I do which is Physical Education. From then, KINA-REER ko na and the rest is history.


How would you describe yourself as a coach and how would you describe your coaching style?

I’m single minded, passionate and intense on the field.  I try to find what works for certain players, but discipline is TOPS for me. They say, I am very strict, which I am, but as time goes by, I also adjust to the situation, which any individual, not only for coaches should do/apply.

 

How did the opportunity to coach the NU men's football team arise, and was taking the role as an assistant coach an easy decision to make?

It was in the first quarter of last year (2019) that I was asked by BJ Manalo, program head of NU Football program to take the role of a temporary adviser/consultant for the Season 81 of UAAP. The role or position per se was not an issue for me, but the issue was if my schedule will fit in the training sessions.  I am not after any title, but what I can do to uplift the football program in whatever way I can. 


What are the noticeable differences between coaching at collegiate and national level, was it difficult to transition between the both?

In my opinion, the most notable difference between collegiate and the national level is planning/preparation.

In the collegiate level there is sufficient time (annual-12 months) to strike a balance in training models while in the national level there is only 12 weeks to set up a performing team.  Therefore, transition is not difficult.

 

Your time as the Philippine women's  team head coach was inspirational. Malditas achieved great heights under your tutelage. You must be very proud of what you achieved with these players, can you share some of your fondest memories of that time?

The tops in my list amongst my fondest memories would be the Philippines (PWNT) being finally in THE history for qualifying 1st time in the 2018 Asian Cup, that really set us all up on fire and made us proud to be part of. Next, is our game with Bahrain where the team made a come-back with a remarkable showmanship of grit & performance. 

Along with these would be the morning walks of the team and most awaited ice breakers from coach Fred that sends us reeling from laughter which I think made us cohesive as a team.  




How did you feel when you were shortlisted in the AFC's Coach of the year award?

Having been in the shortlist is already an honor and privilege that I will be forever grateful. I was of course over the moon & beyond. 

What’s your view on the women’s game in general, how has it progressed since your first involvement and what needs to be done to improve it further?

The game is growing and getting popular now.  However, we need sustainable quality competitions that will showcase the players talents.  These will only succeed if we get to involve stakeholders that will support the program/s either from the government or private sectors. What’s good is that there are lot of football enthusiasts that can make this happen.


What personal aims have you set yourself for the future?

Currently, I am member of the AFC Youth Panel. My future goals are to be part of the AFC Women’s Committee and be an official member of the FIFA Technical Study Group.  Lastly, I would like to continue helping PFF Coaching Education. This is my way of giving back and I enjoy teaching.  It makes me feel immortal. 


What advice can you give to young girls out there currently trying to pursue their dreams?

Just persevere, carry-on and have FUN.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Azkals players who retired earlier than expected

Ace Bright: Meet the man behind Philippines' most successful football club

Clifford Daypuyat: 'Gain knowledge from your mistakes'