Kristo Strickler forever grateful to everyone who played a part in his success

Filipino - American Kristofer Strickler was selected by Houston Dynamo for the 30th overall pick
 in the 2021 MLS Super Draft. Photo: Virginia Tech Men's Soccer

The night before the draft day, Kristofer 'Kristo' Strickler had trouble sleeping and was just too excited for the big day. The young forward from Hilliard, Ohio was reminiscing how his football journey started and how his life could change in a matter of hours.

"I reminisced about my career at Virginia Tech, how I started out as a walk-on and eventually earned my spot in the starting eleven, to scoring my very first goal. I was also just feeling very thankful and fortunate to just be in the position that I was in."


Strickler led the Hokies to their fifth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance. Photo: Virginia Tech Athletics

Kristo Strickler has one of the most inspiring stories in the recent MLS draft. Originally a walk on at Virginia Tech as a freshman, Strickler would become the team's leading scorer in his sophomore and junior year and helped the Hokies qualify for their fifth consecutive NCAA tournament. He appeared 67 games for Virginia Tech and registered 27 goals and 9 assists while also receiving the second team All-ACC honors in 2018 and 2019. 

When the moment of validation came on Thursday afternoon, Strickler took a seat on the couch surrounded by his friends and family in a watch party hosted by coach Mike Brizendine at Virginia Tech. Strickler didn't have to wait too long to hear his name as the  Houston Dynamo selected him with the 30th pick in the 2021 MLS Super Draft.

"It all came really quickly! My teammates found out seconds before I did and were kind of just yelling 'Kristo! Kristo! Houston! Houston!' Then we all started jumping and celebrating like we won a championship! It was so awesome to have them all there and I will remember that moment forever. After the celebration subsided, I embraced my family, and I felt honored and privileged to have been selected from such a talented group of players."


Strickler was with his proud parents during the draft day. Photo: Virginia Tech Men's Soccer

"I never really dreamed of this moment. The thought never really crossed my mind about becoming a professional soccer player until about 2 years ago. Academics is very important in my family, so I was more focused on earning a degree than playing soccer. I didn’t even think I was going to play division 1 soccer at one point, but life works in mysterious ways and I am happy with all the opportunities that helped me get to where I am today – and I’ll still have degree."


The past few days have been nothing short of amazing for Strickler. He feels that all his hard work, dedication and passion seem to be paying off at this time and that he has finally taken the first big step to make his MLS dream a reality. But he also admits that it is just the start of a long journey and he is  excited for what the future has in store for him.

"I am so excited for the next stage of my career! I aspire to earn a first team contract with Houston Dynamo FC and hopefully make Houston my new home. I also hope to play for the Azkals and it would be such an honor to represent the Philippines. I will be ready to give everything to each of these teams and I am looking forward to the possible opportunities each may provide. "


Strickler has been on the national team radar ever since he was  a sophomore at Virginia Tech. In 2019, he was invited by Azkals head coach Scott Copper  for a training camp in Thailand in preparation for the 2022 World Cup Qualifiers. "I was in cloud 9 when I was contacted to train with the national team," he said.


Strickler with the Philippine Azkals during their training camp in Thailand. 

The 30th overall pick of the recent MLS draft traces his roots to Quezon City whose grandparents immigrated to the United Stated with their ten children for better educational opportunities. Strickler said that if not for his grandparent's decision, he would not be in the position where he is today. "I owe so much to them (grandparents), I want to continue making them and my family proud by playing for their homeland, my homeland." 

Strickler remains hopeful that one day, he'll get the chance to don the national colors. "Playing for the national team is still a goal and dream of mine. I hope to have more memorable experiences with the Azkals in the future." 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Azkals players who retired earlier than expected

Ace Bright: Meet the man behind Philippines' most successful football club

Clifford Daypuyat: 'Gain knowledge from your mistakes'